Sho Space

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My grandma, my husband's grandmother and grandfather, my husband and our two oldest kids

This last year has been an interesting year with a whole lot of death. We've lost neighbors that our children loved dearly, church family, my husband's former youth pastor, and hopefully lastly my husband and I both lost our living grandparents this year. My grandma died in Feb of 2008. Spencer's grandparents both died in the past 6 weeks.
I never used to know what to say to people who had lost a loved one and always dreaded the day when I would lose someone close. Those days have come, and I've found that you still don't know what to say to someone who has lost that special person in their life. The only real consolation is if the person who died knew Jesus as their Saviour. Then you know that they are in heaven enjoying a much better existance than they have ever experienced before. This brings to mind an interesting quote:
For and unsaved person, living on earth is the best heaven they'll ever know.
For a saved person, living on earth is the worst hell they'll ever know.

I'm glad I'm saved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have been praying for your family every night and am hoping things are going to turn for a brighter path soon. I never knew about the other deaths but i will pray for their family and loved ones, too.
Brittany

Davida said...

So true--I love what you said at the end. I could NOT get OVER the OVERWHELMING thoughts I had of this when my Dad died. I kept on thinking, "How empty and truly miserable would this all be if we did not have Christ?" It was AMAZING to see the difference in attitudes between all of us and my Dad's unsaved family. I was sooooo happy that we had peace. The day of the funeral, we all went back to Mom's house and had a time of laughing and just enjoying each other's company. We weren't hopeless and we weren't bitter. We were all so glad that Dad was with the Lord, and that his misery in this life was finally over. We knew that FOR SURE, and it was such a comfort.