Sho Space

Monday, July 23, 2007

The Importance of Faithfulness

This is more of a soapbox type of posting. I've been thinking about it for the past couple of weeks after going to a teen rally. Then last night at church a missionary spoke along the same lines, so I thought I would go ahead an post my thought on the topic. Since Spencer started working with the music and youth at church, I have noticed something interesting. There are basically four types of people.

First there are the complacent, walk into church, get their weekly dose of whatever, and walk back out. They don't say much of anything and they don't do much of anything.

Then there are the ones who complain about everything that is done no matter how it is done but refuse to do anything. If they would try to help, their complaints might be considered. On the other hand, they probably wouldn't be complaining any more because they are making an effort for something.

There are those who want the so called lime light and are jealous of recognition that others receive for the work that they do. In the cases that I know, these people are actually quite capable of performing the things they want to do, and they actually volunteer to do things. The problem comes in the fact that when they are asked to do things, these people suddenly have excuses as to why they cannot do what is asked of them or even what they volunteered to do. Even worse, they are a "no show" at the time the task is to be performed leaving no replacement and leaving someone else in a serious bind. These people then become offended when no one asks them to do anything anymore. What do you expect when you are not dependable (faithful)?

There are also people known as "the faithful few." They are an encouragement to the leadership around them because they can be counted on thus taking the burden off the those in charge. The more faithful people there are, the more encouraged others become to be faithful as well. Sometimes these people become overloaded because others know that if the faithful are asked to do something, it will get done. Also, the Bible does mention that if someone is faithful in little things, he can be counted to be faithful in bigger things.

4 comments:

D.J. Cimino said...

Good post.

Anonymous said...

Very encouraging post. Our church went through a very painful church split 3 years ago, and I'm still asking myself, "Which kind of person am I?" I heard a quote, "Don't wait to be motivated to act, act in order to get motivated" I thought that could apply to housework, exercise, and most esp. in the ministry of the local church! Sometimes I think of the Old Testament prophecy, "The King will be humble, riding on a donkey" and so I look for that in people when I'm choosing who will be fellow "warriors". I also posted it over my kitchen sink which despeartely needs remodeling, but hey, it's probably prettier than Christ's sink ever was!! That way I am encouraged in the truth as I wash my dishes!
Oh and your girls are you and your sisters all over again. Thanks for the pics.

Shoshannah said...

I'm starting to wonder if there has ever been a church that hasn't been through a split at one time or other! I didn't really think about applying faithfulness to housework and exercise. I really don't think that I want to either :) I am so unmotivated right now. All I want to do is sleep most of the time. Hopefully all that will change after the baby is born.
DJ, thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Sho - so true. I want to be part of the faithful few and not the other groups.