Sho Space

Monday, March 26, 2007

Fire, Fire!




Okay, it's not uncommon to burn leaves around here. However, our neighbor has a really bad habit of letting things smolder and leaving home even though things aren't really burned out. Friday, I looked out our window and saw that our neighbor was burning stuff really close to our corner of our yard. It kind of made me irked, but at least she was still burning in her yard and not ours. When my friend came to pick up her little boy from my house, she happened to look out my window and informed me that my back yard was on fire. GREAT! When we ran outside, I noticed that my neighbor was not at home. My friend started running buckets of water to the fire to put it out because our water hose was not long enough to reach. However, it was a windy day, and we had to call 911 because the fire jumped the ditch in our back yard, and had started burning the woods. By the time it ended, we had at least 6 fire trucks in our yard, a lot of neighbors looking to see what was going on, and a couple of fire and forest personalities looking for the missing neighbor who started all the excitement in the first place.

2 comments:

D.J. Cimino said...

2 weeks ago, when Emily and I turned onto our road after Sun morning church, we noticed the first house on the block had a grass fire that was creeping close to the house (log cabin home). I think the Lord had us there at the right time. I warned the people and within 2 minutes we had it out.

I'm glad you all are OK!

Anonymous said...

Glad we're ok too. At least the wind was blowing the fire away from our house. Brittany was having a fit because she thought her "tree house" was going to get burnt up. I think we need to go over some rules for fire safety with our kids...like stay in the place where your parents tell you to be. Sho.