Sho Space

Friday, June 09, 2006

Anything Exciting Going On?

So, I'm sitting at the doctor's office the other day and a technician comes to one of the subwaiting rooms where I was and says, "A prisoner wanted for murder has escaped from a van taking him to the doctor, so be careful when going to your cars."
OKAYYYYY! Spencer looked things up on the internet and found that the guy had somehow come out of his leg cuffs and jumped out of the van at an intersection we frequently use.
When Spencer came home from work that night we had to go to a soccer party for Zach. Spencer told me about how there were about ten police cars with no police men in them parked in the center lane of the intersection of interest. Of course, we HAD to drive that way when we went to the party, and of course we HAD to drive back that way on the way home. While stopped at that intersection on the way home, Zach said, "Mom, look at those army men!" As I turned around, I saw a SWAT team crossing the street with some wicked looking guns in their hands. I felt kind of embarrassed because as I was staring at the SWAT team, I noticed a detective that we run into every once in a while at birthday parties in the SUV right behind us. I didn't want him to think I was nosy, but come on.........how often do you see a scene like that in real life?! Every single street in a 20 block section had some sort of law enforcement vehicle and person at the end of the street. They would check all the trunks of any vehicle coming from those blocks. (One lady in a class that my Mom is taking told the police man that he could check everything and even ride with her if he wanted. I think that was how a lot of people were beginning to feel.) Not too long after we got home, we found out that the detective who was behind us at the intersection found the escapee under a house that we drove by both times. I'm glad they caught him! The escapee said he learned how to escape from his cuffs from fellow prisoners. He told the sheriff that he would show them that he could do it again, but he would not show them how he did it. They locked him in hand and ankle cuff and a waist chain and left him in a cell. In four minutes he was out of everything. They have now sent him to a higher security prison in Raleigh.
Did I ever tell you that our little town is very interconnected? Well, I had to go back to the doctor the next morning, and I saw that the technician is the county sheriff's wife. No wonder she came out to tell everyone about the escapee so quickly after it happened!
Gotta love a small town!!!

No comments: