Sho Space

Friday, June 16, 2006

Small Town Politics

In the background is a strip mall that is being built on some old farm land diagonal to our church. This where Target, Belk, Marshalls and I don't know what else are going in. The water is from flooding that occured on Wednesday due to remnants of Tropical Storm Alberto.

I mentioned a while ago that we are finally getting a Target in our town. However, I did not mention the fire storm that this has created in our town. Our city offered quite a few incintives to Target to get them to put a store here. The local, might I add pitiful, mall got mad because they said that the new shopping center would pull business away from the mall. (Let me mention that the mall is already losing business and stores.) I think one reason that they got mad was because one of the anchor stores decided to move to the new Target shopping center. Anyway, the mall sued AND decided to build a new movie theatre. The lawsuit did not work, but the theatre just has opened. Spencer calls it a monstrosity. It really is too. The theatre is RIGHT out front of the mall at an awkward angle. Not only that, but it is also taller than the whole rest of the mall. This of course is really accentuated because of how the theatre is butted up to the mall. Anyway, what I find so absolutely amusing is that we had flooding here due to the remnants of Tropical Storm Alberto only a few days after the grand opening of the theatre. Well, guess what happened? One of the retaining walls to the theatre fell down. I had to include a picture of it below.

4 comments:

D.J. Cimino said...

Where is humpty dumpty?

BTW, One night, while we were watching the evening news, they told about a strip mall that went up in flames following a massive fire. Emily looked at me and said "Good!!"

If you need for me to explain that just let me know ;)

(That is one of the funniest things that has happened since we have been married... of course I won't mention one of the other funniest things that involves me... hehe)

Shoshannah said...

You'd better go on and explain. I must be getting a little slower.

D.J. Cimino said...

Emily thought that the strip mall was just that, a stripper's mall! She thought God was burning it to the ground in judgement :)

Shoshannah said...

That is really funny.