Sho Space

Monday, March 27, 2006

Where, Oh, Where Has My Sweet Tea Gone?


Being a born and bred true Southerner, my husband loves sweet tea. Being a south Texan, we did not drink sweet tea with every thing. Anyway, Spencer would love it if I made sweet tea all the time, but I hate to make sweet tea. It's not hard, it's just one of those things that I hate. Well, Saturday night we had Spencer's parents over for some turkey that Spencer grilled with charcoal and oak wood. I made sweet tea for the occasion. We had some left, and last night around 11:30 Spencer was really hinting that, "It sure would be nice to have a glass of sweet tea." I know what caffeine does when you're getting ready to go to sleep...It keeps you awake. When Spencer stays awake I cannot go to sleep until he does, and I wanted to go to sleep.
I told him "no" like a sweet, submissive wife. While he was getting the fire situated for the night, I went to the refrigerator and hid the tea behind a milk jug. You should have seen him looking for that tea. First, he came and asked me where it was, and then he went hunting. Have you ever looked in your linen closet for tea? How about under the bed? Under a decorative table? In the cabinets? I was laughing so hard. I didn't know he was that desperate! I finally broke down and told him to go back and look in the refrigerator again. He found it and swore it had not been there before. He got his drink, got in bed, and......slept soundly. Yeah for me! I'm glad he loves to joke around.

Sweet Tea
4 family size tea bag
or 8 little tea bags
4 cups of water
cook in microwave 5 minutes
pour in gallon container
mix with 2 cups sugar
finish filling container with water, stir, and refrigerate

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sweet tea I make is the same as yours....but I just make 2 qts. I'm proud to know I'm making the true southern sweet tea! :) Sounds like ya'll had a fun night! Have a great week!

Shoshannah said...

It's definitely sweet isn't it? Congrats on being a true Southerner.

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha. Spencer, you married a brat. :) I'm sure I don't need to tell you that, tho. Hahahaha

D.J. Cimino said...

so maybe thats why I don't like sweet tea? because I am from the valley? That explains it! :)

Shoshannah said...

D.J., I think being from the Valley can explain a lot of stuff. :) Maybe not though. Aren't you the one (the only one) who liked the tap water there better than bottled water?

Now, Lynlee, Spencer is not the only one that married a brat. He can give a lot more out than he ever gets back. I mean, I never told his brother to stop messing with HIS hair 'cuz it might take all the brown dye out. We weren't even dating yet when he said that!

Anonymous said...

the fact that men are brats is just a given, sho. when a woman is, you actually have to point it out. oh, snap to the men! haha. just kidding, guys. we were pretty bratty to DJ though on that trip to disneyworld with his "little blue bag" that was supposed to have all kinds of prank stuff to use on us. I don't think we ever got to see what was in that mysterious bag. he would just threaten us with it and we'd scream "oh, no! not the little blue bag!", sarcastically, of course, and that's all it would take to make him mad. I hope DJ's learned that all you have to do to get us girls off your back is pretend we don't bother you. the more bothered you got, the funner it was to tease! we were so mean! sorry, dj (sort of). hahaha :)

D.J. Cimino said...

Yes... I did like the tap water better. weird! Now I can't drink anything but bottled water.

Ahhhh... the famous "little blue bag". Will I ever live that down?? :)

Shoshannah said...

Lynlee, I have sooooooooooooooo been wanting to bring up the "little blue bag," but I didn't want to cause any hurt feelings. Thanks for doing it for me. Do you remember the present that I got DJ at the gas station to say "Sorry"? --That baby doll in the bottle-- OK, I'll stop there, 'cuz we were mean. Oh wait, how about the time that we told him to look in the hole on the outside of the girls bathroom at school and shot water from a water gun in his poor, unsuspecting eye. Sorry again DJ. Some of that stuff does make me laugh to remember it though.

D.J. Cimino said...

Sho,

I remember the bottle... I even kept in in a junk drawer for years, but I don't rememeber getting shot in the eye... but remembering how mean you all were to poor, innocent little DJ (hehe) I don't doubt it for a second! IF the statute of limitations hasn't run out on that I may just have to call Donna police dept on you... LOL

THat reminds me of the time in drivers ed when I ran a stop sign and the teacher said "call the Donna street dept and tell them DJ doesn't want that stop sign there"... Remember that Sho?

Anonymous said...

i don't remember the bathroom wall hole and the eye-squirting incident! where was i? he can blame you for that! i'm innocent there! and the baby bottle incident was not my doing either, although i did not discourage it. i guess i did deserve to have my desk spit on. :(

Anonymous said...

Sweet Tea! MMMM! That stuff is like brown GOLD! And just as rare around here. Thanks Sho.

Shoshannah said...

Just trying to keep you in a healthy condition!!!!!

Shoshannah said...

I had forgotten about the road sign incident, DJ? Do you remember me speeding up as I turned left under the underpass and throwing you and Eric against each other and the side of the car? Y'all buckled up after that.

D.J. Cimino said...

YES! I do remember that Sho... and Eric and I have discussed that for years now! LOL

Shoshannah said...

Glad to have left a lasting impression.

Shoshannah said...

I happen to have a picture of you in one of my albums that might change your mind about pleading the fifth. I believe it's of you sleeping with a rolled white piece of paper sticking out of your mouth, and three very mischievious, guilty, boy faces laughing in the background.
Shall I post it, or will you talk without further torture?

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention I make mine decaffinated. No one can ever tell the difference no matter how big a tea fan they are. I usually tell people, just so they have a heads up though. Tried the gallon 2 nights ago instead of the 1/2 gallon and it was great, cause it lasts longer.

Shoshannah said...

Mary, a gallon does help postpone the tea making process just a little. Zach loves the stuff as much as his daddy. They both were giving me puppy dog eyes for it the other day. I couldn't resist, so I had to make some. I'll be glad when the tea bags run out!!!!!!! Decaf does taste fine, I just always forget to pick it up.

Davida, you'll see the picture some time before too much longer. Just remember you asked for it!