Sho Space

Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Outer Banks



A really popular vacation spot here in NC is called the Outer Banks. It takes us about three hours to get there, and I've really enjoyed the times I've been able to go. History was my minor in college, and there is so much history to see when you get to the Outer Banks North Carolina.
When you drive over the long bridge to the island and see all the woods, you realize how very strong our forefathers were. You see, this is the location of the "Lost Colony" founded by Sir Walter Raleigh. How would you like to come to a place of nothing but trees to live? No houses, no water wells, no paths, no roads, no stores. I really don't think I could have survived. We are so pampered here. Not only do the Outer Banks boast of being the location of the Lost Colony, but it is also the home of Kitty Hawk where the Wright Brothers flew their first plane. There are many famous light houses in the Outer Banks location-two which are pictured above. The one on the left is Cape Hatteras lighthouse and the other is the Bodie Island lighthouse. I personally have been to the second one, but I have never yet made it to the first one. There are also wild horses on the Outer Banks, and aquarium, a huge sand dune called Jockey's Ridge that you can hand glide off of, the Elizabethan Gardens, and of course the beaches. Oh, don't let me forget the bear hunting on the way there! One day, we would like to rent a beach house up there and spend a little time exploring.
I would mention a good little church to attend in the town of Manteo right as you cross over the bridge onto the Outer Banks, but I can't remember the name.

No comments: