Sho Space

Monday, April 24, 2006

Shopping Like a Man

I now have great sympathy for any guy that goes shopping with their wife and does not particulary like it. As most of y'all know, Spencer went to school for computer programming, and he actually loves anything to do with computers. Of course that means if we go to an office supply store, we have to look at all kinds of software programs, hard drives, modems, wires, cables, routers, keyboards, etc, etc. It bores me to almost tears. All I see are a bunch of boxes with words on them they are of no value to me. I try to understand and be excited about it, but if we are not actually buying it for our computer, it's hard to get excited. I guess that's how guys feel when girls go window shopping.
Now, for my second experience. The other day, I went into one of our two local sports stores to look for some soccer shorts for Zach. I spied the rack full of black shorts in all sorts of styles and patterns. I had just started looking through them when one of the all male staff approached me and asked if I needed help. I told him what size I was looking for. He proceeds to pull out one pair and expects me just to say, "OK, thanks" and be done with it. Now as a girl, I would like the option to look at a few varieties of shorts, so I say, do you have any other ones? (I know he does 'cuz I see all the different ones right there.) He pulls out just one more pair and hold them up. Not wanting to inconveniece him, I take the second pair. He then asks if I need anything else, so I tell him I need some socks. He says, "What color? I say, "Green." He walks over to the sock rack, but I can't see the choices. He say's, "Light or Dark?" Now Zach's soccer shirt is not a light green, nor is it a really dark green. It's the green you get in a crayon box. I say, "Dark" because I'm picturing something like mint green for the light color. He grabs the socks and checks my items out at the cash register. As I walk out of the store, I see the "light" green socks and see that they are actually the same color as Zach's shirt. I think "Oh well." When I got home to Zach, and had him try on the shorts, they were so thin that he looked like he needed a slip or something under them even in my kitchen. I took everything back the next day, however, I was rushed for time. I had confidence that I would be able to get in and out in record time, and I did. I went back to the same guy and told him I needed to exchange what I had from the day before. He went back to the shorts rack and pulled out the first pair of shorts from the day before, and I did not argue. He then went and got the "light green" socks and stuffed them in the bag, and that was that. I was in and out for what I needed-just like a man.

1 comment:

Shoshannah said...

I like to go shopping about once every month or two-just to get away from everyone. I never buy anything, but I love the peace and quiet. Spencer used to get his feelings hurt when I'd tell him I didn't want anyone with me. Now he understands. Sometimes he asks if I need some quiet time. I don't know if that's a hint or he's just being nice. :)